Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Crock Pot Mac & Cheese

(from About.com)
I am a freak about mac & cheese. I think it's probably my most favorite thing to eat. I get so excited when I find a new recipe that sounds good! I love my crock pot but never have any recipes that I want to try out in it. This recipe sounds like a win-win!

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours

Ingredients:
16 oz. elbow macaroni
1 12 oz. can evaporated skim milk
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I cheated & put a whole cup in right off the bat)
1 cup shredded gruyere cheese (I was told that Swiss is similar, so I decided to go w/ that instead of spending $8 on the smallish chunk of Gruyere)
1 cup shredded asiago cheese
1 tsp. kosher salt

Preparation:
Prepare macaroni according to package directions, cooking until the pasta is al dente. Drain.
Spray the slow cooker stoneware with cooking spray. Pour the cooked pasta into the slow cooker.
Add the remaining ingredients, except for 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir.
Cover and cook on low 3 hours.
Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Cover and cook on low another 10 minutes

It's currently cooking, so I can't say what it actually tastes like. I'm super excited though!!!

THE VERDICT: Meh. I now know that I am not a fan of Asiago cheese. I was surprised that I could taste it so strongly, even though I had only put a cup of it in. I ended up mixing in some American cheese singles (that I'm really not a fan of) & adding even more Cheddar cheese, in an attempt to mask the Asiago. I think it did a so-so job.
I found a crock pot mac & cheese that is a Paula Dean recipe, so I'll try that one next! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment